Album Update #3 – 3 Reasons Why Recording Sucks….until
Hellooo! A picture of me getting ready to do a full day of recording….I had just woken up (one perk of recording from home…you can do it in your pjs….or well…you know)
Time for a little update on the progress of my FIRST EVER, self-produced album 🙂. Ok, so I have officially gone into the phase that involves full-day recording sessions and the thing that I realized is…..recording sucks. I have recorded before, many times – for other people’s projects and for singles of my own and that has always gone pretty well. But, recording vocals, background vocals, guitar, AND percussion instruments for 21 songs (19, 2 bonus) is INSANE!!!! I clearly had NO IDEA what I was getting into when I first started this project. Holy crap. So, here’s the top 3 gripes I have about recording:
1) You can’t just wing it. If you knew me, you would know how much I despise planning. However, with recording, I have found you HAVE TO plan. Sure, you can improvise and such while you experiment with the styling and embellishments here and there….but, you have to plot out your moments and nail them while keeping tempo, proper pitch, maintaining the ability to emote, making sure you’re not too far or too close to the mic, delivering the lyric flawlessly, and so on and so forth (phew!). Easier said than done indeed.
2) It is UNNATURAL. In “real life”, when you sing or play the guitar, we don’t stand in an isolation tank with padded walls with headphones on our head. Usually, you have somebody to look at and interact with while your singing or it is you, sitting at the beach, with the wind in your face, strumming your guitar. Not so in “the booth” (mine is a makeshift one that doubles as my closet). So, yeah, feels weird. But, eventually, you do get used to it and sometimes to the point where it gets weird to sing in front of people again🙂.
3.) It stands between me and my FINISHED album!!!! Yes, this one is the one. This is the main reason why recording sucks. It is the necessary evil. You cannot have an album to share with folks unless you do it. And, damn, don’t we love our immediate gratification?! To have conceived a project, to have poured out your soul in the writing of lyrics, to have found the melody that you were looking for on your guitar, etc., but have to WAIT to share it until all the recording mumbo jumbo is done?! That sucks. I don’t like to wait.
BUT….this I know….
It will certainly be worth the wait. When it is all packaged up and sent out and I can finally share it with you lovely peeps, I will have made my peace with recording and will have a huge smile on my face🙂. Can’t WAIT to share these soul songs with you! Let me end with a quick rundown on the stats for the overall recording progress.
- All guitar tracking for the 21 songs is finished and most of the additional instrumentation/percussion is complete!! (well, I hope)
- 5 songs are completely finished and I love them!
- Cover art has been chosen……to be revealed soon :0 …dun dun dun
- Title? TBD (it’s between two finalists)
- I have one of my special friends/guest artists that will be joining me – Ben Z – (there will be others as well), who just sent me his contribution to one of the songs on the album and I am so happy with it!! It is the perfect finishing touch. But – honestly, he never disappoints….don’t take my word for it, though, you can check out his talents here at his page
- Date of Release? To be announced soon (depending on a few things)
Ok, that is all for now. Thank you, thank you, thank you for checking in with me as I continue on this new journey!